How We Met Motorcycle | Our Cat Adoption Story

I'm so thrilled to share the story of how Nick and I met and adopted our sweet kitten-daughter, Motorcycle (Momo for short) To preface, we are both life-long unabashed cat lovers. Nick has had multiple family cats for most of his life, and my family had cats when I was really young and adopted one in 2010 who I love SO MUCH! I knew eventually, I would adopt a kitten of my own. When Nick and I moved into our first Chicago apartment, we had to do so fast so a "no pet" policy wasn't a deal breaker for the otherwise perfect place we found. Predictably, after we settled in, the urge to have an animal friend to come home to every day grew and grew. I said to myself that when our lease is up, we have to move somewhere pet friendly. I didn't want to go another year without. It turned out that we ended up moving much sooner than we planned on, and into another place owned by the same landlord. So, another year without a cat, I thought.

my cat/kitten motorcycle momo

On July 4th I got a message from my mom. I was at work and the picture wasn't loading on my phone, so I put it down for the time being. Then I got a call from my mom. I got really worried because she knew I was at work, so I knew it must be important. I called her back right away, and she told me that she had found a cat- didn't I see the picture? No- the picture didn't load, but oh my gosh I'm so excited!! Look at how cute, small, and scared, baby Motorcycle is. Momo was found outside their house, terrified of the holiday fireworks. We think she was born outside and had been there her whole life. My parents knew that they couldn't not keep her, so soon, there was a post on Facebook asking if anyone could adopt her. At first, I didn't have any realistic thoughts of taking her. Of course, I desperately wanted to take her, but I was certain that is wasn't possible. Then, I just... asked my landlord. I plead my case hard. I reminded him how clean we are, and how he's never had any problems with us, and so on. And then I waited.

my cat/kitten motorcycle momo

WOW! I could not believe he agreed- I felt like I was getting away with something. I told me mom right away, and Momo was ours. Nick and I knew that we wanted to have a cat named Motorcycle for what seems like forever. We were driving around, dreaming up what we would name our cats one day, and Motorcycle just stuck out. It's a silly unique name, that just stuck with us through all those years. When asked, "Why Motorcycle?" I explain that it's because she has a loud purr, but really the only reason is because we like it. We knew she was Motorcycle before we even met her.

my cat/kitten motorcycle momo

We promptly stocked up on everything a kitten could ever want. Food, dishes, toys, a bed, a cat tree, and so on. She was spoiled before she knew it. We had to wait a couple weeks before we had the chance to make it back to Michigan to pick her up, which was so hard, but really exciting, and gave us some time to gather everything we needed for her. Soon, we met her, and she was just perfect. We took her to the vet for a check up and she was as healthy as can be, and she was totally relaxed during the car ride.  After a few days, we made the 5 hour drive back to Chicago.

my cat/kitten motorcycle momo

Momo has already grown so much in two short months. Looking back on these old pictures has made it all the more apparent. She is still just a small 5lb little ball of energy, and has a lot more growing to do. She has also grown attached to us, and us to her- she follows us everywhere and sleeps on me- yes on me. My little shadow. She is incredibly wild 90% of time, and the other 10% she is cuddling and napping. Her personality is so special.

my cat/kitten motorcycle momo

As I've mentioned before, I could talk about my cat forever, and I know I will talk about her again, but I wanted to share the story of how we came to be. I feel so lucky every day for her love! Best friends forever. ♡

Thank you for reading. (Look how cool Mo is balancing on her scratching post)

my cat/kitten motorcycle momo